Wednesday, 26 January 2011

OM NOM NOM

So far my attempt at vegan cooking has been poor to downright awful. The omission of meat isn't so much the  issue but leaving out dairy has made things a little more difficult. Especially since I basically lived on eggs and cheese.Today I made scrambled tofu. And it was DELICIOUS.

JR's Tofu Scramble; How to,

Ingredients
olive oil
solid tofu
1 clove minced garlic
basil
pinch of salt
pinch of black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 chopped onion
2 chopped tomatoes
1 green pepper (although I had intended to put in a red pepper. I would omit the pepper altogether in future)

Instructions
Pat dry the tofu and crumble onto pan with olive oil on low heat.
Cook tofu until brown (about 8-10 mins)
add garlic, basil, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and meld flavours together to infuse with the tofu.
Add onion and tomato (add green or red peppers if preferred)

Allow to cook for 5-8 mins
Serve with wholewheat bagel

Feel free to send me some of your *easy* recipes/ideas/tips!

 


11 comments:

  1. looks delish. but also looks like it needs chicken.have you been to the Mongolian barbecue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, everything needs chicken though. Or prawns. I haven't been to said BBQ...do they has toasted pb&j sandwiches? You going again? If the bean party is successful on Sat you may come to that another time. Bring bacon stashed in your coat pocket if you must.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah I'll be going again, I got a 2 for 1 card thingy cos i'm a winner who goes to trinners.they don't have P&Jsambos but they do have a big thing of tofu and all the veg/salad/rice you want.and cos it's all "DIY" you get it exactly the way you want itthe reason I asked was it looks very like the pic of the dish you posted up, i thought it might have inspired you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sounds really good. Let's go EAT SOME MONGOLIAN FOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well thats the thing, I'm not so sure how "Mongolian" it is exactly.a lot of the stuff I saw looked Chinese, like beansprouts and water chestnuts etc.. but i suppose Mongolians and Chinese, sure they're the same really aren't they?the manager was northern Irish but the two guys cooking the stuff they looked Mongolian, but they could have just been Chinese, I can never tell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the Italian Quarter..which is Mexican/Turkish/Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cant go wrong with a good old stiry fry, lots of peppers, onion, mange tout etc with rice or rice noodles. im not vegan and its one of my favourite meals! sweet chilli sauce is good with it and peanuts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Charlotte, I made just that for my dindins. The peanuts were a yummy crunchy touch. I had seconds :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cooking vegan really isn't bad once you get the hang of it :). I would suggest any cookbook by Isa Chandra. She's incredible and her food is TO DIE FOR. You won't miss meat at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers Malori, I'll definitely check out some of Isa's recipes, there's some sample online. I'm attempting to make your baked tofu recipe today :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message, gewwon.